Are you interested in getting braces/ortho/Invisalign in Southgate, CA? Getting braces/ortho/Invisalign is a big investment in both time and money, so taking good care of them is essential to ensure the best possible outcome. Proper orthodontic treatment maintenance can also help minimize discomfort and speed up the treatment process. Here are some tips on how to care for your braces or Invisalign aligners:
Braces Care Tips
- Brush and floss regularly: Braces create more nooks and crannies in your mouth that can trap food particles and plaque, so brushing and flossing more often than usual is important. Use a soft-bristled brush and fluoride toothpaste, and be sure to get all around the brackets and wires. Consider investing in a water flosser or interdental brush to help clean hard-to-reach areas.
- Avoid sticky, hard, or chewy foods: Certain foods can damage or dislodge your braces, so it’s best to avoid them altogether. These include sticky candy, popcorn, nuts, hard candy, and chewing gum. If you get something stuck in your braces, use a mirror and a toothpick or interdental brush to remove it.
- Wear a mouthguard for sports: If you play contact sports or engage in activities that could cause facial injuries, a custom-fitted mouthguard from your orthodontist can help to protect your teeth and braces from damage.
- Attend regular appointments: Your orthodontist must adjust your braces periodically to ensure they work correctly. Attend all scheduled appointments and follow your orthodontist’s instructions for adjusting or replacing rubber bands, springs, or other components.
Invisalign Care Tips
- Remove aligners to eat or drink: Unlike braces, you can remove your Invisalign aligners for eating and drinking. Be sure to take them out before consuming anything other than water, and rinse your mouth with water before putting them back in.
- Clean aligners daily: Invisalign aligners can become discolored or develop an odor if they’re not cleaned regularly. Use a soft-bristled brush and clear antibacterial soap to scrub them gently, then rinse thoroughly with water.
- Store aligners properly: When you’re not wearing your Invisalign aligners, store them in their case to protect them from damage and prevent them from getting lost.
- Wear aligners as directed: Invisalign aligners are most effective when worn for 20-22 hours daily. Follow your orthodontist’s instructions and wear your aligners for the recommended time each day.
General Orthodontic Care Tips
- Maintain good oral hygiene: Regardless of whether you have braces or Invisalign aligners, practicing good oral hygiene is essential. Brush twice daily with fluoride toothpaste, floss daily, and use an antibacterial mouthwash to help prevent tooth decay and gum disease.
- Avoid harmful habits: Habits such as biting your nails, chewing on pencils or ice, or opening packages with your teeth can damage your braces or Invisalign aligners and delay your treatment. Try to break these habits or find alternative ways to satisfy them.
- Keep up with regular dental checkups: Even if you’re undergoing orthodontic treatment, it’s still important to visit your dentist for regular checkups and cleanings. Your dentist can help to spot any issues early on and work with your orthodontist to ensure the best possible outcome for your treatment.
How to Choose Between Braces and Invisalign
When deciding between braces and Invisalign, it’s important to consider your personal preferences and treatment needs. Braces are a tried-and-true method for straightening teeth and can correct more severe bite issues, while Invisalign offers a more discreet option with clear aligners that can be removed for eating and cleaning.
Dr. Ardy Hakhamian at Omid Dental Office in Southgate can help you weigh the pros and cons of each option and recommend the best treatment plan for your specific needs. Factors such as the severity of your misalignment, lifestyle, and budget can all affect your decision, so it’s important to discuss your options with a qualified orthodontist.
Braces/Ortho/Invisalign in Southgate
If you require orthodontic treatment in Southgate, Omid Dental Office and Dr. Ardy Hakhamian are here to help. They offer a variety of orthodontic options for you or your child. If you want to learn more about braces/ortho/Invisalign, schedule an appointment today!